State hospitals are shouldering the load of failed aged care services in which stories of abuse are no longer surprising, Queensland Deputy Premier Steven Miles says.
Responding to reports of alleged abuse in aged care homes in the state, Miles said while new allegations were always tragic, the problems with the sector were well known.
“If the funding, nursing, and regulation model was right, then we wouldn’t be seeing this level of ongoing concern about abuse (and) neglect in our aged care facilities,” he said on Thursday (March 18).
Miles said the failure of aged care services meant more people needing long term stays in hospitals and took specific aim at for-profit providers.
“The aged care system just doesn’t deliver the kind of nursing care that it used to and that people expect from it,” he said.
“We’ve known for a long time that there is a problem in our aged care sector, and my message to the Morrison Government is what are you waiting for?”
One in three aged care residents in Australia has suffered substandard care, according to a damning royal commission report released earlier this month.
Up to 18 per cent of residents had been either physically or sexually assaulted, the commission determined.
It concluded more than 30 per cent of residents had experienced substandard care, a reflection on the poor quality of some providers and “fundamental systemic flaws” in system design and governance.